We are currently looking for families to build in our program. We are accepting applications to be put on our waiting list for future building groups.
How to Apply
Do you qualify?
Your income must be high enough to afford the monthly mortgage payments. This generally means somewhere in the low $40,000 per year ballpark.
The combined incomes of all members of the household must also be below the income limits of the program (link to current income limits).
Credit rating of at least 640. If you have no credit or your credit score is below 640, we may still be able to help identify a path forward or recommend steps you can take to become eligible.
Gather the following information and documents:
- Current pay stubs from ALL household income showing one month’s current earnings
- Copies of the last 2 years Federal Income Tax returns (including W-2’s and all attachments)
- Bank statements
- A snapshot of your credit score
Create an account and fill out the application form
- Apply and confirm eligibility – allow about 2 weeks
- Obtain a position on Waitlist – currently about 3 ½ years
- Join a Building Group – submit final paystubs and bank statements to confirm you are still eligible
- Closing on the loans for the lot and construction
- Learn – 4 preconstruction meetings take place before you begin construction
- Build – it takes about 12-14 months to build 8-10 homes
- Move In – in the last week(s) there will be final inspections, occupancy permits and construction loan conversion to a mortgage
Building Since 1976
owner built homes
hours of construction invested by each owner builder
$1.5 M invested in local subcontractors and suppliers
About the Homes
- 3-4 bedrooms
- 2+ bathrooms
- 2 car garage
- 1,200 – 1,500 square feet
- 5,000 sf lots
- Energy efficient
- Energy Star Appliances: range, refrigerator, microwave/hood, dishwasher, garbage disposal, high efficiency gas furnace, tankless water heater, washer and dryer.
Mike Russell passed away on June 13, 2022. Mike built homes all over Whatcom County throughout his carpentry career but his favorite job was teaching families how to build their homes. Mike worked as a Construction Supervisor with Whatcom Skagit Housing. He had a great sense of humor that made the work a little bit…
July 13, 2022 8 families received the keys to their homes in Malloy Terrace, Ferndale WA. Excavation began in January of 2021. With homeownership as the goal, this group worked through delays with supplies and subcontractors, dealt with covid and endured some extreme weather. Final inspections, occupancy permits and completion in mid July 2022. With…